Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Working Girl

Hey Everyone,
So last we left our intrepid traveler she was home and ready to begin her life as an intern. Well she has started her internship, in fact she is about to start her fourth week.

The company I work for is called Culture Shock Media and it is, in essence, a multimedia company. They publish and write for different magazines (the V&A being one of them), books and have worked with different television companies. They also have different websites under their umbrella and I work on one of them. It's called "Funky Venues" and it is a website that has different profiles of funky venues, caterers, entertainment, etc. I also work on "Funky Wedding Venues which is the same thing, but with weddings.

I don't do much writing, mostly editing the profiles that get sent in and any news pieces that the subscribers (the people who own the venues) send to us. It may not be the most exciting thing in the world, but I am enjoying myself and developing my website and photoshop skills.

I did not think the cultural difference would be that big of a deal and it really hasn't been, except for one instance. I was asked to get "nice biscuits" for I believe, potential clients that were coming in for a meeting. Now for those who don't know , biscuits are cookies. The thing is, I was not sure what a nice cookie was. So I turned to my supervisor and was like, "would you like me to get a packet of McVitties? Her replay was, "I think something a little nicer than that." The only time I have felt like the dumb American. I think I lasted pretty long.

There is nothing much else to report. I went to the grandparents this past weekend and tried oysters for the first time. My grandfather was extremely pleased that I liked them.

I will report back with more when anything interesting happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment